Re: XForms: image support and colormaps

Stephen Huyssoon (huyssoons@advancia.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:11:51 -0500

Steve Lamont wrote:

> > For this reason, I am a true color man all the way.
> >
> > Go True Color, that is my motto.
>
> That's true if you restrict the systems on which you run to only those
> capable of TrueColor -- however, for portability, you can't depend on
> that. Even if you do, you still may need to do some adaptation,
> depending upon the available number of bit planes, etc. For instance,
> if you're running on older SGI Indigo or Indigo^2 platforms, you may
> find yourself with only 12 bit planes in double buffered mode (3 x
> 4).

Hey, hey. I have done 8 bit true color on my SGI Indy. That's part of the
wonder of X. The colors can look kind of funkyfied, but my true color
idealism wasn't violated.

Check it out. Read in 24 bit images (ADRG) and made 8 bit true color
pixmaps. Used (I think) 2 bits for blue, 3 bits each for green and red.
Woo hoo.

When restricted to 8 bits, you can get better coloring using pseudo color.

Toodles

PS: Now I'm interested in the image fun XForms offers. See what
you did.

--
  (Stephen Huyssoon)
  (huyssoons@advancia.com)                            www.advancia.com

To Infinity and Beyond! -- Me and Buzz Lightyear

The Truth cannot be proven nor disproven, it simply Is.

Derick's Writ of Habeas Corpus: Ok, back on your heads!