Re: XForms: image support and colormaps

T.C. Zhao (tc_zhao@yahoo.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:10:31 -0700 (PDT)

I need to check the code, but the following is what I remember.
The display routine will first create a seperate image
by scaling the data down within the window level and window
width constraints so it has the same number of bits
as the colormap has. Then it will try to get/allocate as many gray
color as possible from the colormap, and substitue with closest colors
when color runs out. Obviously this is a problem only for
non-private pseudoColor colormaps. For private colormap,
all entries in the map will be mapped to gray.

With a shared pseudoColor colormap, it's not easy to say
how many shades of gray to use as the display routine may
simply not able to honor it. One thing you may want to do
is to play with the window level and width that indirectly
affects how many grays are used.