Re: XForms: CVS vs RCS

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 11:09:28 EDT

    > I personally found looking at the header (or grep) is easier than cvs rlog,

    Surely the two are equivalently easy:
    $ grep $Id forms.c
    $ grep forms.c CVS/Entries

    I have stripped the $Id stuff from the comments in the .[ch] files but have
    left it in the identifying string of the .c file that is printed on error.

    > not to mention if the source files are zipped and shipped.

    Then they are shipped as a particular release of the xforms library. In that
    case, the release is tagged. If someone complains that there is a bug
    traceable to forms.c in the xforms 1.1 release, then we grab the file from
    the repository as

    $ cvs -up -r xforms-1_1 forms.c

    As explanation about _why_ I stripped the $id stuff: any change to the
    header files in lib/include leads to the regeneration of lib/include/forms.h
    in which the actual change is swamped by these spurious changes in the $Id
    data.

    Incidentally, TC, it would be great to have you on board formally as a
    developer, even if your work commitments mean that this title is purely
    honorific. To class you as such, all you need do is set up a user account on
    savannah.nongnu.org and drop me a line with your login name. Thereafter,
    adding you to the list of developers is a matter of moments.

    Regards,
    Angus