Re: XForms: Resurrecting xforms development pt 2

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 13:30:20 EST

    On Thursday 27 March 2003 4:47 pm, Steve Lamont wrote:
    > > Last year I posted a mail
    > > (http://bob.usuhs.mil/mailserv/list-archives/xforms-archive/0536.html)
    > > in which I asked similar questions. In reply, you mentioned that you
    > > would try and roll out a cvs tree over the Christmas vacation. Did
    > > anything come of this?
    >
    > We're in the process of hiring a CVS administrator.

    Great news.

    > > That aside, LyX has an active interest in maintaining xforms, even
    > > now that a Qt frontend has also come on-stream. Perhaps we could
    > > make your life a little simpler by offering to host an xforms cvs
    > > tree? Please be assured that I am not talking about a hostile
    > > fork. I am interested only in getting things moving.
    >
    > I'm curious as to what you think is needed.

    "Needed" is the wrong word. I concur with your statement of yesterday in which
    you considered `XForms' to be pretty much mature and stable. That said, here
    are some possible improvements:

    * My collection of small patches has already reached the xforms list. In it
    you'll find that forms.c has two pieces of code that deal explicitly with
    tabfolders. Whilst the code 'fixes' the relevant bugs, it's the wrong way to
    go IMO.
            By and large, xforms widgets are pretty Object Orientated, resulting in
    FL_FORM knowing little or nothing about individual FL_OBJECT widgets. This
    has allowed your users to devise new widgets without needing to hack the core
    library. Its an example of why I find xforms to be a pretty well designed
    piece of code.
            The tabfolder, however, is relatively immature. It's also the only native
    xforms widget that contains its own FL_FORMs which can themselves contain
    other FL_OBJECTs. At the moment these internals must be exposed for the
    widget to work correctly but such special casing means that other, complex
    widgets external to the library itself have no hope of working properly.
            Somehow, therefore, this tabfolder code should be moved out of forms.c. For
    example, the code that enables the tabfolder and its contents to be resized
    correctly probably requires a new FL_SCALE event or somesuch to allow the
    tabfolder itself to just 'Do The Right Thing'.
            This sort of modification will allow people to continue to devise arbitrarily
    complex widgets without the need to hack the library itslelf.

    * that said, rolling new widgets into the library is a positive thing to do.
    For example, LyX uses a Combox widget that would be a real boost to xforms.
    It is currently written in C++ but I now know enough about xforms to consider
    re-writing it as a native xforms widget. I'm sure that others out there have
    other widgets that could also be rolled into the core library.

    * At the time of writing this mail I haven't seen my _big_ patch (entitled
    "Cleaning up the key handling") arrive on the mailing list. It may be that I
    still have some unresolved problems with my mailer. In brief summary,
    therefore, this patch cleans up the key handling code in xforms as a
    necessary precursor to enabling it to display and input of Far Eastern
    characters natively.

    * The Far Eastern patch itself.

    So, you see that I am talking mainly about extending the library rather than
    repairing what exists currently.

    Kind regards,
    Angus