Re: XForms: XForms 1.0 Release Candidate 5.1

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 09:30:09 EDT

    spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu wrote:

    > > I don't use OpenGL, but I think there's a compatibilty problem. The
    > > following Debian package provide the GL/gl.h header file, and so you can
    > > only install one:
    > >
    > > libutahglx-dev
    > > xlibmesa-dev
    > > mesag3+ggi-dev
    > > mesag-glide2-dev
    > > mesag-dev
    > >
    > > Then XForms would depend on the corresponding runtime package. If I
    > > chose xlibmesa, then users of the others can't use it.
    >
    > So under Debian you distribute binaries?

    Yes. All sources are available and you can rebuild a package easily,
    but packages are distributed in binary form for all 11 supported
    architectures.

    > Hm. XFree86 4.2 (and maybe earlier) supports OpenGL natively. Why
    > have all those different pakages?

    The XFree86 4.2 support is in the xlibmesa-dev package. The others are
    for XFree86 3.X which we still include (because 4.2 doesn't support all
    the hardware supported in 3.X). I gather different packages support
    different hardware (but I have never used OpenGL...).

    I could build two binary packages (or more): One without OpenGL and
    another using the XFree86 4.2 OpenGL.

    Peter