Re: XForms: Imakefile problem with RC4

From: Angus Leeming (a.leeming@ic.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 08:50:36 EDT

    On Wednesday 21 August 2002 7:18 pm, spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu wrote:
    > > I'm having problems compiling RC 4 that I've nailed down as an Imakefile
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > On this platform (DEC Alpha running Tru64 Unix 4.0e) I have set the top
    > > level Imakefile defines so:
    > >
    > > #define HaveSnprintf NO
    >
    > Why this? Does the Alpha not have snprintf()?
    >
    > > #define HaveFloatH YES
    >
    > Change
    >
    > IMAKE_DEFINES = \

    [snip...]

    I am back in the lab and making some progress compiling this beast!

    I have linkage problems due to the -Xlinker stuff:

    cc -o fdesign -O2 -std1 -L/usr/openwin/lib/sparcv9 fd_attribs.o
    fd_control.o fd_fake.o fd_file.o fd_forms.o fd_groups.o fd_help.o
    fd_initforms.o fd_main.o
    fd_names.o fd_objects.o fd_pallette.o fd_printC.o fd_rubber.o fd_select.o
    fd_spec.o fd_super.o fd_util.o sp_browser.o sp_button.o sp_choice.o
    sp_counter.o sp_dial.o sp_freeobj.o sp_menu.o sp_pixmap.o sp_positioner.o
    sp_scrollbar.o sp_slider.o sp_twheel.o sp_xyplot.o -lXext -lX11 -Xlinker
    -Bstatic -L../lib -lforms -lXpm -L../snp -lformssnp -Xlinker -Bdynamic -lm
    cc: Error: can't find or exec: /usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/lddynamic
      @: No such file or directory
    make: *** [fdesign] Error 1

    Compilation is otherwise fine except for the snp directory.

    My first problem lies here in snp/strtod.c:

    #define Long int32_t
    #define ULong u_int32_t

    There are no types int32_t, u_int32_t on this machine (Dec Alpha running
    Tru64 Unix 4.0e).

    aleem@pneumon:snp-> grep int32_t /usr/include/*.h /usr/include/sys/*.h
    aleem@pneumon:snp->

    The result is obvious errors:

    aleem@pneumon:snp-> make
    cc -c -O2 -std1 -I/usr/include -DLONG_BIT=64 -DNO_MESSAGE_CATALOG
    strtod.c
    cc: Error: strtod.c, line 370: Missing type specifier or type qualifier.
    (missingtype)
            ULong x[1];
    --------^
    cc: Error: strtod.c, line 429: Missing ";". (nosemi)
            ULong xi, z;
    --------------^

    Changing the typedefs above to

    #define Long int
    #define ULong uint

    allows compilation to proceed a little further

    cc -c -O2 -std1 -I/usr/include -DLONG_BIT=64 -DNO_MESSAGE_CATALOG
    strtod.c
    cc: Error: strtod.c, line 112: #error Here (errormessage)
    #error Here
    -^
    cc: Error: types.h, line 72: In this declaration, "daddr_t" has no linkage
    and has a prior declaration in this scope at line number 209 in file
    /usr/include/sys/types.h. (nolinkage)
    typedef long daddr_t;
    ----------------^

    Ie, this particular flag is not set by DEC's cc compiler:

    #ifndef __sys_types_h
    #error Here
    #include "types.h"
    #endif

    commenting that block out and all is happy until I get to snprintf.c:

    cc -c -O2 -std1 -I/usr/include -DLONG_BIT=64 -DNO_MESSAGE_CATALOG
    snprintf.c
    cc: Error: /usr/include/sys/types.h, line 211: In this declaration, "qaddr_t"
    has no linkage and has a prior declaration in this scope at line number 100
    in file snprintf.c. (nolinkage)
    typedef long * qaddr_t; /* should be typedef quad * qaddr_t;
    */
    -------------^
    cc: Warning: snprintf.c, line 262: Non-void function "local_print" does not
    contain a return statement. (missingreturn)
    static int local_print(ptr,len,pcurpos,pleft)
    ^

    I can remove the error by commenting out the definition at line 100 of
    snprintf.c.

    I have no idea what to return in local_print or whether this fuction should,
    in fact, return void.

    Any insight appreciated.
    Angus