Re: XForms: rgb_db.c is broken on FreeBSD systems

From: spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:43:48 EDT

    > The approach seems needlessly fragile. Is there no way to
    > interrogate X11 for the location of the rgb.txt file?

    `rgb_db.c' is used by `image_xpm.c' and actually belongs in the image
    handling stuff (and will be moved, accordingly).

    My guess is that the somewhat klugey approach was taken because the
    image library is supposed to be able to function without an X
    connection and XLookupColor() and its ilk require a Colormap and a
    Display, which may not exist. Hence the necessity to interrogate
    `rgb.txt' directly.

    It may be possible to automagically set the correct path using a
    DEFINE in the `Imakefile', since `rgb.txt' or its equivalent should
    live in the same place the X libraries live.

                                                            spl