Re: XForms: Why xforms?

From: James D. Stegeman (stegeman@grc.nasa.gov)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 08:19:23 EST

    Zaphod Breblebrox,

    Or should I say, Mr. President? :)

    All I can say is that xforms is stable and easy to use. Java changes with the
    wind, or
    at least it used to. I'll admit, Java buys you alot with its environment and
    all of the
    add-ons you can get. But, if you are now installing an application across alot
    of
    machines, you now have to maintain version consistancy on each box. With
    xforms,
    I've found that you can install the library, install your app and you are
    golden. xforms would
    be even better if had a spreadsheet widget and a MS type tree widget. But
    beggars can't
    be too choosy.

    To overcome your cygwin-x-server dillema, we have a Unix box (you could use
    Linux)
    with xforms' library installed and have installed Exceed on the Windows
    machines to
    interact with X. The user simply opens a connection to the host and your app
    appears in
    the window.

    Hope this helps,

    Jim Stegeman

    (aka Arthur Dent)

    James D. Stegeman | This space for rent: NASA Glenn Research Center | Lewis Field | 21000 Brookpark Rd. MS 142-4 | Phone: 1-216-433-3389 Cleveland, Ohio 44135 | Fax: 1-216-433-8000 | e-mail: stegeman@grc.nasa.gov -------------------------------------------------------------------------------