Re: XForms: downsampling data before plotting via xy_plot

From: Steve Lamont (spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 09:52:13 EST

    > > Have you tried double buffering?
    >
    > Nope, what does that entail?

    Call fl_set_object_dblbuffer(). This will cause XForms to draw the
    plot in an offscreen Pixmap and blit it to the display when done.
    Reduces flicker, etc. It may help with your problem.

    I tried a simple bit of test code with 100000 points and it seemed to
    work okay on my Solaris Suns and IRIX SGIs. I didn't get a chance to
    try it on my laptop.

    > > Ohmygosh. I had to turn down the brightness of the screen. Those are
    > > some *loud* colors. Ouch! Gotta go soak my eyeballs. :-)
    >
    > You're not the first one to make that remark.
    > But then again, this makes it hard to forget you ever saw
    > it doesn't it?
    > Well, I just love Mondriaan ;-) (actually I like his earlier figurative work
    > more than his blue yellow red stuff, I've seen the earlier stuff in
    > Moskou's Tretjakov Museum). But the main thing of course is
    > that the sound of the program is great!

    Same here with my current Art Hero, Mark Rothko. I saw a showing of
    his more figurative early work at the Newport Harbor museum a while
    ago and it knocked my on my butt.... though I still love his later
    work too. You'd think that stuff would be easy to paint but I've
    tried and it ain't all that easy to get right and have the same
    impact.

    But don't get me started on an Art Rant. :-)

                                                            spl