Re: XForms: XForms for ARM Linux

From: Peter S Galbraith (GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 11:43:12 EST

    Reuben Thomas wrote:

    > I've just recently tried using XForms on ARM Linux (Debian 2.2) with LyX,
    > and found the following problems I'd really like to sort out:
    >
    > Two problems:
    >
    > 1. The link to the download archive is broken (should be to
    > pub/xforms/NetWinder, not pub/NetWinder).
    >
    > 2. It doesn't work on my machine, an Acorn RISC PC. This is code-compatible
    > with the NetWinder (I'm running Debian 2.2), but the memory system doesn't
    > support half-word load and store instructions. There's a simple way to fix
    > this: compile with -mshort-load-bytes.
    >
    > The symptoms I'm getting are redraw problems trying to run LyX (which I
    > compiled myself), so I might be wrong about the cause, but it's the only
    > reason I can think of aside from some other library incompatibility.
    >
    > I'm very keen to sort this out, so would be happy to compile XForms myself,
    > if that could be arranged. Otherwise, if the current ARM maintainer could be
    > persuaded to rebuild it I'd be grateful.

    If you get a working Lyx on Arm, built on a new XForms that get
    distributed upstream (by T.C. & Steve), then I'll add the Arm
    XForms to the Debian package (unstable and eventually woody).

    > One final note: for use with LyX, I understand that v0.88.1 is the best.

    I was under the impression that was no longer true (but I don't
    have the latest source tree). At least all Debian Lyx packages
    are built against 0.89 (CC'ing this message to Jules Bean, Debian
    maintainer for Lyx).

    Of course, with the eventual Open Source release of XForms, all
    this fuss will be moot! ;-)

    Peter