Re: XForms: Mineo Morohashi: OpenGL and xforms

Lothar Esser (esser@chop.swmed.edu)
Thu, 09 Oct 1997 21:01:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Mineo Morohashi wrote:

> In addition to use OpenGL library, I use
> glut.
> However, each library need to comprise main event loop, such as
> fl_do_forms(void), and glutMainLoop(). If I want to use both, how can
> I handle both of them in same program?

Dear Mineo Morohashi,

I also use glut and xforms and had the problem with two event loops.
A good solution is to use the glutMainLoop() in the main() program
and add a callback to the idle function of glut :

glutIdleFunc(Xforms_cb);

where Xforms_cb is :

void Xforms_cb(void) {
fl_check_forms();
}

So when ever OpenGL (or glut) has nothing to do it checks the forms.
This however uses up some cpu time ( about ~1% or less) on my SGI
R10000.
I cannot claim that I had this idea so let me thank Anneke
Sicherer-Roetman who has made excellent contributions to "Xform based
applications" which you can find on the xforms web page.
(http://bragg.phys.uwm.edu/~zhao/new/app.html)

Hope this helps.

Lothar Esser

Dr. Lothar Esser