Re: XForms: Printing of xyplots?

Fritz Zaucker (zaucker@ee.ethz.ch)
13 Aug 1997 18:24:42 +0200

spl@szechuan.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) writes:

> > > I haven't seen any good, freely available, postscript plotting
> > > software around. Anyone on the list have any pointers?
> >
> > Install the demo version of IDL (Interactive Data Language) from
> > Research Systems, Inc (/cgi-bin/exit-to?http://www.rsinc.com). ...
>
> Good suggestion, perhaps, but I was more interested in function call
> libraries to do PostScript plotting.

That was the reason why I didn't really want to use gnuplot either. It
has enough features for my purpose, but calling an external program
for a little linegraph seems somewhat ugly.

My favorite solution would have been something integrated into Xforms,
as this package seems to be very well supported (Thanks to all of you)
and I would like to minimize my dependency on as few packages as
possible.

The program I am trying to replace with an Xfrom-based one was written
with the Khoros library. This library had very limited plotting
support, but one could basically choose writting to a X-window or to a
file, the latter was done in Postscript. The beauty of this setup is
that with the same code I can generate both plots (screen and print)
by just changing the "output device".

> I've developed a couple of functions but they're of limited use in
> that they're pretty application specific and don't support a lot of
> features, like overlays, etc., that I don't currently use.

Same problem everywhere ... ;-)

> NCAR used to put out a FORTRAN-based (yeah, I know) plot package
> called NCARGraphics but it was large and pretty unwieldy for the
> average user.

NCAR Graphics is at Version 4.0.1 now, with GUI and all kinds of fancy
things. The low-level routines are also still there. I had written a
pretty extensive plotting package with NCAR 3.0 at some point. It
needs some time to get all the ideas, but it is VERY powerfull as
well. I would recommend it to anybody that has to do fancy graphics,
especially with geographical data. See http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/
for online documentation. Again, its overkill for my current
application and it also relies on calling external programs for the
translation to Postscript.

There is also GMT http:www.soest.hawaii.edu/soest/gmt.html for similar
purposes. If I remember right, there is even a library for generating
Postscript. I'll look into it and post my findings.

Fritz

--
Dr. Fritz Zaucker, Head IT Support Group
Departement of Electrical Engineering,      Federal Institute of Technology